Defense and financial services are two “industries” with well-defined need for cybersecurity. Both industries are large, bureaucratic, “regulated”. Yet the way they approach cyber security “start up” companies differ in important ways. The aim of this Capstone project is to identify lessons the Department of Defense should draw from how the financial sector (e.g., large banks) interact with the cyber startup community to obtain the most effective cybersecurity solutions.
Key questions include:
- How do they identify startup companies?
- What programs are in place to attract and help screen them?
- What kind of diligence is done?
- What is the role of the investors?
- Are there special incentives to pick start-ups?
- How are contracts/procurement with start-ups different than with large established vendors?