André Corrêa d’Almeida, PhD, is a political economist and a designer of learning environments with several management and academic leading roles at Columbia University in the fields of international education programs, institutional design and sustainable development. As a trust-builder he strives to develop new collaborative approaches to address issues of coordinated action around the world. He has experience at the management level in the U.S., Europe, South-East Asia, the Middle East and Africa. André has had research published in several areas of Social Economics and Institutional Development and has received multiple research awards. He currently leads programs in NYC, Kazakhstan, Egypt, China and Portugal. Follow @AndreCdAlmeida
Founder and Program Director of:
- China Sustainability Project: Environment, Energy and Politico-Economic Ecosystems.
The mission is to develop a knowledge network of practical approaches and solutions with students, scholars, and policy makers from both Columbia University and China to maximize collaborative approaches for sustainable development in China. A special focus is paid to environment, energy and politico-economic ecosystems.
- Kazakhstan Sustainable Development Visiting Scholar Program.
This 15 weeks program will bring graduate-level scholars from Kazakhstan that demonstrate a focus on various sustainable development issues of Central Asia to Columbia University in the City of New York to study alongside world-renowned research scientist at The Earth Institute.
Other programs being developed:
- United States - New York City: Smart NYCity Strategy
- Portugal: Diasporas and Institutional Development. Designing and implementing a series of studies and inter-political parties trust building platforms to improve the existing political-constitutional system.
- Egypt: Climate Change. Supporting Egypt’s National Strategies for Sustainable Development and Adaptation to Climate Change.
- Jordan: Fiscal Decentralization. Designing of an inter-government transfer formula: from Amman to Governorates.
- ICT tools political empowerment and participation: a new app for civic engagement.
Research and Publications:
- Corrêa d’Almeida, A., and Bahar Otcu, G. (2013). The Portuguese Language in the United Nations: framing policy design. International Journal of the Sociology of Language, 2013(224), 1-23. Available at 10.1515/ijsl-2013-0053
- Corrêa d’Almeida, A. (2013). The Retention of Highly Skilled Returnees in Mozambique: an institutional approach. The African Capacity Building Foundation, Occasional Papers 20. Available at http://goo.gl/3dJaaq and http://elibrary.acbfpact.org/
- Corrêa d’Almeida, A. and Reis Mourão, P. (2013). The Irrelevance of Political Parties’ Differences for Public Finances Performance: Evidence from Partisan Politics and Deficit and Debt in Portugal (1974 – 2012). European Union Politics. (forthcoming).
- Baroang, K., and Corrêa d’Almeida, A. (2013). Egypt’s National Strategies for Sustainable Development and Adaptation to Climate Change. Ministry of State for Environmental Affairs, Government of Egypt.
- Corrêa d’Almeida, A., and Abazov, R. (2013). A Research and Capacity Building Program for Kazakhstan. Bolashak, Kazakhstan.
- Corrêa d’Almeida, A., and Alamoush, M. (2013). Fiscal Decentralization in Jordan: designing an intergovernmental formula. Public Administration and Development. (forthcoming).
- Corrêa d’Almeida, A. (2012). Advancing Executive Training on Sustainable Development Practice. Ministry of Planning and International Cooperation, Government of Jordan.
- Corrêa d’Almeida, A. (2012). Linking Executive Training and Institutional Innovation in Jordan. Center on Globalized and Sustainable Development Blog. Available at http://cgsd.columbia.edu/2012/04/11/linking-executive-training-and-institutional-innovation-in-jordan/
- Corrêa d’Almeida, A. (2012). Enabling Change: Training Development Practitioners in Jordan. State of the Planet, Earth Institute Blog. Available at http://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/2012/01/11/enabling-change-training-development-practitioners-in-jordan/
- Corrêa d’Almeida, A., and Garfield, R. (2011). A Case-Study Writing Methodology for the MPA in Development Practice at Columbia University. Published online by the Columbia University Global MDP Network. Available at: http://globalmdp.org/library/case-study-writing-methodology-mpa-dp-columbia-university
- Corrêa d’Almeida, A. (2010). The Retention of Highly Skilled Returnees in Mozambique: an institutional approach. Doctoral Thesis. School of Public Affairs, University of Colorado Denver.
- Corrêa d’Almeida, A. (2009). Skilled Migrants’ Dynamics, Institutions, Innovation, and Diffusion: a conceptual and analytical framework to assess patterns of (re)integration. Comparative Technology Transfer and Society, 7(1), 1-18.
- Corrêa d’Almeida, A., and Klingner, D. (2008). FEMA and the Witt Revolution: Testing the Hypothesis of “Bureaucratic Autonomy”. Public Organization Review, 8(4), 291-305.
- Corrêa d'Almeida, A. (June 2008). Skilled Migrants’ Dynamics and Social Capital Innovation: A Conceptual and Analytical Framework to Assess Patterns of (re)Integration. Poster presented at the Harvard Networks in Political Science Conference. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge: MA.
- Corrêa d'Almeida, A. (2007). Review on "Performance-Pay for Teachers" Literature. Colorado Department of Education, Denver: CO.
- Corrêa d'Almeida, A., and Duarte Silva, P. (2007). Impact of Immigration on Public Finance in Portugal: a longitudinal approach 2001-2003. Observatory of Immigration 1 (2nd ed.), 189 pp.
- Carneiro, R., Corrêa d'Almeida, A., and et al. (2006). Immigrants' Labor Mobility in Portugal.Direcção-Geral de Estudos Estatística e Planeamento (DGEEP), Cogitum 20, 200pp, Lisbon: Portugal.
- Carneiro, R., Corrêa d'Almeida, A., and et al. (2005). An Evaluation of the National Employment Strategy 2000-2010. Direcção-Geral de Estudos Estatística e Planeamento/MTSS, Cogitum 16, 159 pp. Lisbon: Portugal.
- Oliveira, C. and Corrêa d’Almeida, A. (2005). Immigrant’s Labor Accidents in Portugal. Observatory of ImmigrationWorking Papers, Lisbon: Portugal.
- Corrêa d'Almeida, A. (2003). Impact of Immigration on Public Finance in Portugal in 2001.Observatory of Immigration 1, 124 pp. (includes a section on Immigrants’ remittances)
Corrêa d'Almeida, A. (2003). International Benchmarking on Immigration Policy and Law.ACIMEWorking Papers, Lisbon.
- Corrêa d'Almeida, A. (2001). Tibet: Spirits of the Mountain. Nethnics, FNAC, Lisbon.