SIPA's Energy and Environment (EE) Concentration provides students with the industry knowledge and analytic toolkit necessary to develop and implement solutions to key global challenges in the energy and environment space. Students are uniquely trained to integrate and resolve issues facing public, private, and nonprofit firms in this field.
In addition to over ninety specialized courses available from worldclass faculty, students also have access to a number of exceptional professional development opportunities, including: internships and Capstone Workshops with prestigious firms, corporate engagement with New York City’s business community, and conferences with preeminent thought-leaders. The program also draws on related activities across Columbia University, from the Center on Global Energy Policy and the Earth Institute to the schools of business, law, science, and public health. SIPA’s EE Concentration offers an unrivaled set of resources and programs to train experts in this field.
To learn more about the latest in SIPA's Energy and Enivronment (EE) Concentration, read and subscribe to the EE Quarterly newsletter.
Recent updates from SIPA's EE Concentration
SIPA’s EE Concentration provides students with robust industry knowledge
EE students specialize in one of three focus areas - Global Energy Management & Policy, Energy Resource Management, or Environmental Policy & Management - and have access to over 90 advanced EE electives. The EE curriculum provides students with:
- Advanced knowledge on global energy and environmental issues and how governments, businesses, and civil society can lead effective action
- A holistic understanding of how science, technology, policy, finance, and society shape energy, natural resources, and environmental risks and opportunities
- Quantitative and qualitative tools to analyze and model energy and environment-related issues
- Practical skills to become effective leaders in energy, natural resources, and environment, in both the public and private sector
- Multicultural interaction, teamwork, and collaboration within an international context
- Experience working with clients to formulate energy and environmental policy and management decisions through applied projects, internships, and workshops
Learn more about the EE curriculum.
SIPA’s EE Concentration is training the next generation of EE leaders
Learn more about EE job placement.
SIPA’s EE students come from a wide array of backgrounds and excel in a number of industries
Explore the diverse backgrounds of additional SIPA students.
SIPA’s EE faculty are leaders in the fields of finance, economics, policy, development, and security
US Congress (20 years), Resources for the Future, Harvard Kennedy School, Duke Energy
Oaktree Capital Management, Hudson Clean Energy, Goldman Sachs, GE Capital
Environmental Movements & Policy, History of Ecology, International Cooperation
NREL, Arc Finance, UNDP, Texaco
Explore the professional backgrounds of additional EE faculty.
Columbia University is home to a number of active organizations in the energy and environment space
The SIPA Energy Association (SEA) is a student-run organization dedicated to building relationships among SIPA students and energy sector practitioners in the field.
Find a schedule of exciting events hosted by EE partners.
SIPA’s EE alumni excel in industries across the energy and environment space
Read about the impactful work of EE alumni.
Get in touch with SIPA's EE Concentration
Departmental Research Assistant
To keep up to date with the latest in SIPA's EE Concentration, read and subscribe to the EE Quarterly newsletter.